We started with the idea we’d keep Fiona out of Praveen’s hair helping a few local women learn some skills to increase their income…. Well Fiona’s Hindi is poor and so she dragged Praveen out to the village to help her communicate….and now years later we have a huge gang we work with in our local area and contacts across India we go to, to directly source khadi handlooms.
The Stitching Project is dedicated to making fine textile products...we are based in rural India, our style is a little bit ethnic and a lot contemporary.
The Stitching Project is a social enterprise; that is a business dedicated to producing quality work, which will contribute to the ambience of the purchasers’ environment whilst contributing fairly to the livelihood of the producers.
We are a big bustling team of people working together for the benefit of all here to make lovely things for you there.
· Fabric mostly khadi handlooms sourced directly from the weaver, we supply details on a small tag attached to the garment. Khadi handloom is hard wearing cloth, that gets better with age.
· Khadi has small irregularities in the weave- we check and reject major faults, but small ones will show up from time to time.
· The silk cotton comes from family operated small powered looms.
· We clearly mark the source of the fabric.
· Silk is from re-cycled second-hand silk saris, washed and checked by us prior to colour matching
1. Plant Based Dyes
Plant Dyes will age and fade gracefully.
- Gentle cold wash.
- Dry in shade and air.
- DO NOT use strong chemicals, beach, enzymewash, soaker.
- Can be composted and returned to Mother Naturewhen you are finished with it.
2. Plain dye indigo and other colours have an irregular surface- traditionally all overbold block print/ mud resist was used to disguise this. We embrace it as part of the ‘handmade’ feel – you need to consider carefully if it works for you.
3. solvent free, water based pigment inks blockprint- any colour possible.
We are very pleased to offer wholesale rates for larger purchases- contact us for details.